Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Ball Blue Book of Canning

My first introduction to canning was as at the age of 7 or 8 years old.  Grandma and Grandpa Mellema had a canning kitchen set up at one end of their basement.  Every summer, right after school was let out, the canning season would start.  Peaches ... pears ... applesauce.  I must admit, I was not so keen on helping because I found the whole process very hot and sticky.

But, THANK YOU Grandpa and Grandma for planting the seed of food preservation.  The seedling became a full grown plant last summer when I did my very first pressure and water-bath canning.  I won't deny it was hard work but very fun and very fulfilling!  There is nothing as pretty as a shelf full of jams jars.  =)

The Ball Blue Book of Preserving was my road map and I'd like to share one with one of you!!  It's chock full of colored pictures, step by step instructions for both water bath and pressure canning, and lots of recipes.  I will do the drawing next Wednesday (April 28th) and there are a couple different ways for you to enter:

Leave a comment telling me the first thing you'd like to try canning = 1 entry.
Become a follower of Dutch Girl Diary = 1 extra entry.
Already a DGD follower?  Link to this giveaway on YOUR blog or Facebook page = 1 extra entry.

Check back tomorrow when I post the recipe to my favorite strawberry jam recipe!

4 comments:

Sarah Faith said...

I am hoping to have a paste tomato crop this year and hope to can my own tomatoes, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce!
I hope you'll take photos of your jam jars lined up this summer. :) Ooh maybe you could do a jam giveaway. ;)

Fritzemama said...

I am planning to buy peaches from our local farmer's market and can peach jelly - my husband's favorite.

P.S. I am also a Dutch girl who loves pretty journals and writing in them! I will have to keep my eye on your blog. Heard about it from Sarah Faith. :)

Erin Joy said...

You are from GR!!! Cool. =) You should freeze some of the peaches too. The texture and tingly feeling you get in your mouth is amazing when you eat them 1/2 frozen! Seriously.

Moriah B. said...

Growing up I helped my mom each summer as we canned peaches, tomatoes, pears, boatloads of jam, pickles, etc.

Last year I made a heap of freezer & canned jam and now that we've moved to the south, I want to make pickled okra (which I tasted the other day and loved!).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...